Construction of today's Airport began in 1950 near the suburb of Barca. An airshow took place in 1951 to mark its opening. By 1954 the runway extended to 2000m. In the same year construction began on the first part of the new passenger terminal, hanger and new control tower. In 1955 direct flights began between Kosice and Prague. The power supply was enhanced by more powerful transformers in 1962. Increasing traffic required a larger passenger terminal by the mid 1960s. The foundation of the SNP Air Force Academy in 1973 strengthened aviation in the then republic of Czechoslovakia. Between 1974 and 1977 the runway was increased by 1100m, the power supply rebuilt and a lighting system installed to meet CAT II ICAO specifications.
In the 1980s the airport's managment was forced by increasing traffic to extend its premises. During 1992-93 the runway, aprons and passenger terminal were improved, as werethe lighting, power supply, monitoring and control systems. The runway was asphalted and its loading increased. This significant improvement was remarked on by foreing crews attending the SIAD 93 airshow in Kosice. The terminal was enlarged again in 1995 and 1999.
The main events in the aviation history of Košice and the airport:
1906 the first public take-offs of the military balloon from the area of the railway station in Košice and from the football pitch KAC.
1910-1913 the first air show in Košice. The flights were performed in Krásna nad Hornádom.
1918 organizing of the air section within the 3rd infantry division by corporal Kostrba,
1919 the beginnings of military aviation in Košice,
1920 establishing of military airport in Košice,
1924 the beginning of passenger air transport by the company ČSA by the aircraft of the type Aero 14 on the way Košice- Bratislava and back,
1926 foundation of Masarykova air league in Košicie and in the eastern Slovakia, the beginning the the mass development of aviation,
1927 the beginnings of motorless flying and aeromodeling within MLL. The aviation exhibition in Košice- the first one in Slovakia,
1935 training of the first sports motor pilots. This training was also undergone by the Dominican clergyman Lexman,
1936 airclub foundation,
1945-1949 the beginning of postwar air transport. The construction of regional training center Lysá Stráž. Development of army aviation.
1952 formation of the Main administration of civil airports-Czechoslovak airlines,
1953 air show at the occasion of the opening of the new airport in Barca. The formation of association for cooperation with the Army,
1956 reorganization of HSCL-CSA setting apart from the Central administration of civil airports responsible for the running and machinery from ČSA (responsible for air transport),
1958 formation of State aviation administration,
1959 relocation of military air force schools to Košice,
1965 dividing of ŠLS into the Administration of transportation airports (delegated also by the role of constructional office) and State aviation inspection,
1968-1971 construction of modeling route at Anička. Organization of Championship of ČSSR in the aerobatics in Košice,
1969 formation of federation and following creation of ČSDL and Slovak administration of transportations airports,
1972 union of ČSDL and SSDL into the Czechoslovak administration of transportation airports Prague,
1973 formation of VVLŠ SNP,
1977 prolonging of VPD and apron E in 1100m, reconstruction of light securing facilities, construction of transformer TS 50,
1978 graduate of VVLŠ Vladimír Remek lflies into the space,
1978 dividing of administration of airports into ČSA (inter alia responsibility for running of the airports), RLP and Construction of airports Bratislava,
1979 formation of Delta club – beginnings of flying on gliders,
1990 opening of running of center of air salvage service, formation of Slovak national airclub,
1991 dividing of the republic – formation of the Slovak administration of airports by setting apart from ČSA, foundation of Aviation school SNA, foundation of Aviation association Cassovia Air,
1992-1993 reconstruction of VDP, TWY A, Z, check-in company 1, reconstruction of light system, energetics and installing of new monitoring and controlling system,
2001 the beginning of construction of a new passenger terminal, application of traffic in low visibility conditions(II.cat ICAO),
2004 formation of business company of Letisko Kosice - Airport Kosice, a.s., forfeiture of the Slovak administration of airports,
2004 end of military aviation in Košice,
2004 handing over a new terminal for passengers,
2005 obtaining certificate ISO 9001,
2006 KSC Holding became the majority shareholder in Kosice Airport,
2007 APN extension,